Water is an inexpensive resource with so much health benefits. It is abundant anywhere unless you are in a desert so there should be no reason for you not to drink enough water.
Our body is made up of around 70 percent water. And unless the water in our body is replenished, our body will experience abnormalities or worst, can suffer serious health consequences. You have so much to gain when you drink an adequate amount of water.
Health Benefits of Drinking Adequate Water
- Maintains pH balance – Water is important to maintain the right pH balance of 7+ which is vital for the body to function properly.
- Healthy heart – A study conducted at the Loma Linda University in California shows that both men and women who drink adequate amounts of water throughout the day are less likely to have heart attack than those who don’t.
- Healthy skin – Water helps in replenishing dead skin cells while moisturizing the skin. If you want to have a healthy and glowing skin, you don’t need expensive skin care products. All you have to do is drink enough water every day and you will have a natural glowing skin.
- Keeps body hydrated – No soda or other types of beverage can better keep your body hydrated than water.
- Pain relief – Drinking adequate water can help keep the muscles more elastic which in turn could help alleviate or prevent joint pains.
- Body cleansing – Drinking water also detoxifies the body and helps remove toxins.
- Improves metabolism – Drinking water can help improve metabolism which is very helpful for weight loss.
- Kidney health – For the kidney to function properly in filtering liquid waste out of the body, enough amounts of water intake is needed.
- Prevents cancer – Adequate intake of water every day can reduce your risk of bladder and colon cancers.
- Alleviates headache – One of the main causes of headache is dehydration. If you keep your body hydrated by drinking adequate water, you can avoid headache or alleviate its symptoms if you already are experiencing it.
- Cures constipation – Eating food high in fiber as well as drinking adequate water can help cure constipation.
- Controls body temperature – Water is credited for its help in controlling the body’s temperature which is important if you are constantly engaged in sports or other physical activities.
- Nutrient transport – Water is needed to transport nutrients to different parts of the body. If you drink water often, your entire body will also be able to absorb enough nutrients.
- Weight loss – Water contains zero calories than other types of beverages. Additionally, it acts as an appetite suppressant so you will eat less. It also flushes out the by-products of fat in the body. All of these contribute to losing weight and preventing obesity.
- Improves brain activity – The human brain consists of 90 percent water. If you drink enough water and supply enough to the brain, you will be more alert and be able to think and concentrate better.
The Institute of Medicine in the US determines that the adequate intake of water for men is around 3 liters or 13 cups every day while for women it is 2.2 liters or around 9 cups.
Compared to other drinks, water is less expensive but has more health benefits. Make sure to drink the adequate amount of water every day to enjoy these benefits and live a healthier and purer life.