As many people become more conscious about their health, organic foods, wholefoods, natural products and natural remedies also have become popular. Just recently, oil pulling has become trending online among people who are looking for ways to achieve better health. Many people are interested to know what it is and how it can benefit them.
Oil pulling may be new to you but this Ayurvedic practice of detoxification and rejuvenation has its ancient origins. To oil pull, it means you have to swish your choice of high quality unrefined oil in your mouth, just like when you gargle mouthwash. This procedure can attract and remove toxins, fungi, parasites, bacteria and other microorganisms that may be present in your mouth or lymph system.
How Oil Pulling is Done
After waking up in the morning and before eating your breakfast, take a tablespoon of oil into your mouth without swallowing it. Swish the oil slowly inside your mouth just like when you are gargling with mouthwash. Do it for at least ten minutes until the oil become thoroughly mixed with the saliva. This process will activate the enzymes that will draw the toxins from the blood. The longer you swish, the thinner and whiter the oil will become. Avoid swallowing even a small drop of oil because it is highly toxic. Spit the oil out and then rinse your mouth with water. Follow it up with thorough brushing of teeth.
Health Benefits of Oil Pulling
Oil pulling offers a number of benefits:
- Boosts oral health. Oil pulling especially when using sesame oil can significantly help reduce the presence of S. mutans germs in the saliva and plaque. The lipids present in the oil will remove or pull out the bacteria from the oral cavity walls.
- Mouth cleansing. With regular oil pulling, you are able to thoroughly cleanse the mouth as oils are considered natural emulsifiers.
- Prevention of mouth diseases. Other known benefits of oil pulling in the mouth include bad breath prevention, treating bleeding gums, and the prevention of gingivitis and other mouth diseases. It can also help prevent dryness in the throat, mouth and lips as well as soreness in the jaw area.
- Strengthens the gums, jaws and teeth.
- Prevents diseases in the lymphatic system. It is believed that oil pulling boosts the lymphatic system while bad bacteria are being removed, encouraging the growth of good bacteria.
- Other possible health benefits of oil pulling are correction of hormonal imbalance, headache relief, and inflammation relief for patients with arthritis. Oil pulling may also be helpful for reducing the symptoms of bronchitis, gastroenteritis, allergies and sinusitis. Some people reported having better sleep at night after oil pulling and as an effective pain reliever for certain kinds of pain. If you have hangovers, oil pulling can also help you recover.
Choice of Oil for Oil Pulling
There are several options for oil that you can use in oil pulling. Among the popular choices are sesame oil, olive oil, virgin coconut oil and sunflower oil. You can alternate using these oils for a few days to maximize their benefits.
Sesame Oil – sesame oil contains at least three powerful antioxidants, namely sesamol, sesamolin and sesamin. These antioxidants are helpful in absorbing the negative cholesterol in the liver. Aside from that, sesame oil also contains high concentration of polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E and antibacterial properties. All these properties are helpful in preventing gingivitis, dental cavities and other oral health problems.
A study was conducted in 2008 showing a significant reduction in the number of bacteria present in the mouth of respondents who did oil pulling using sesame oil. It also proved that the antibacterial properties of sesame oil are indeed effective in reducing the S. mutans in the mouth.
Coconut Oil – If you don’t like the strong smell and taste of sesame oil, you could substitute it with coconut oil. Coconut oil has also strong antibacterial and antioxidant properties, offering benefits for oral care and overall wellness.
Olive Oil – Olive oil is also commonly used in oil pulling. This oil is rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help protect the body against free radicals.
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic method that is easy to do than you may think. It is also inexpensive because the only thing you need is oil. While inexpensive, it offers many health benefits especially in oral care.