Turmeric is a spice native to South and Southeast Asia and is particularly abundant in India. It is an orange-colored spice that is part of the ginger family. Turmeric is one of the staple spices in the Middle Eastern and South Asian cuisines most especially Indian, Thai, Persian and Iranian cuisines. Outside these regions like in some of the Western countries, this spice is widely used as coloring agent for baked products, canned beverages, dairy products, orange juice, sweets, cereals, sauces, yogurt, ice cream and many more. It is also a vital ingredient for curry powders.
In culinary, turmeric can be considered an important spice. But it is more than just a spice. Other than its culinary uses, turmeric also has a lot of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
One of the most important components of turmeric is the curcumin which has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties that can boost the immune system, help maintain digestive system, support healthy skeletal system, help maintain cholesterol level and promote healthy blood level functions. Because of these benefits, turmeric is one of the best spices for home remedies of many illnesses:
1. Acne and scabies – To get rid of acne and scabies, prepare a paste containing:
1 tbsp turmeric + 1 tsp coconut oil
Apply to affected area and let sit for an hour before rinsing. Do this until your skin is clear from any signs of both skin problems.
2. Arthritis – Because of the anti inflammatory properties of turmeric, it is an excellent natural treatment for both arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Boil ½ tsp turmeric powder +1 glass of milk
Let it cool and drink.
3. Asthma – To help prevent asthma attack prepare the following:
¼ tsp turmeric powder + 1 glass of warm water
Drink this solution as soon as you feel any sign of attack.
4. Bleeding gums – Prepare a paste containing:
1 tbsp turmeric powder +few drops of mustard oil + pinch of salt
Massage the paste in the bleeding gums. This should stop the bleeding while strengthening your gums.
5. Bruises, wounds and insect stings – To alleviate pain and swelling, make a paste containing:
1 Tbsp turmeric powder + 1 tsp lime
Apply on affected area.
5. Cough – Drink this solution to eliminate chest congestion and to soothe coughing:
1 glass of water + 1 tsp turmeric powder + pinch of salt
You may also drink a glass of milk with a teaspoon of turmeric powder. It will give the same effect.
6. Fungal Infection – For fungal infection, apply turmeric juice in the affected area.
7. Itchy throat – For itchy throat:
Boil 1 tsp turmeric powder + 2 cups of water
Let it cool then gargle it for several seconds. You can do this for three times a day until you are relieved of itchiness.
8. Menstrual cramps and other menstrual problems – For relief from menstrual problems, prepare the following:
1 glass of warm milk + ½ tsp turmeric powder + honey (optional)
Drink this once a day few days before your expected period and during your period to soothe menstrual cramps.
9. Mouth blisters – For blisters, gargle this solution two times a day until blisters are gone:
Boil 1 glass of water + ¼ tsp turmeric powder
10. Stomach acidity – Drink this solution after meal for acidity problems:
½ tsp turmeric powder + ½ tsp salt + 1 glass warm water
11. Tooth ache – Roasted turmeric powder also makes a good cure for toothaches. Simply fill the cavity or massage the affected tooth with ground turmeric powder to get relief from toothache.
Apart from everything mentioned above, including turmeric in your daily diet can also help prevent, alleviate and improve the condition of a patient suffering from cancer, diabetes, heart problems and even Alzheimer’s disease. It can also help in controlling weight of those who have weight problems.
Take advantage of all these health benefits of turmeric powder by incorporating this spice as much as possible in your daily meals.