Summertime is the time of year people are on the go. There are outdoor sports, cookouts to attend and plenty of activities to keep you busy. By summer’s end, you may feel overwhelmed and worn out. You may feel like your get-up-and-go got up and went. Try these five quick pick-me-ups for the fall season to recharge your batteries.
1. Drink plenty of water. Many people don’t realize that dehydration can cause them to feel sluggish or have less energy. Pay attention to how much water you get throughout the day. This is especially important when you work in an office which is closed off, stuffy and crowded. It is likely you will feel better after you drink a glass of water. To make it even better, add a squirt of fresh lemon or lime juice.
2. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Taking several deep breaths can give you a chance to refocus your attention and adjust your perspective. To increase the benefit of these deep breaths, light a scented candle. Juniper, jasmine, lavender and chamomile are scents which are known to affect emotions.
3. Take a “power” nap, if possible. You don’t have to take a long nap to benefit from it. In fact, a nap less than thirty minutes is often just what you need. Find a place that is quiet and dark for the best results. Be sure you don’t sleep for more than an hour or it could adversely affect your ability to sleep that night.
4. Get up and move. Your body is meant to move and many people spend eight or more hours a day sitting in an office chair. Since your body needs to move to stay healthy, get up and move around for five minutes every hour. This could be as simple as marching in place, taking a brisk walk to your car and back, or taking time for a quick stretch. Not only will you give your body the break it needs, taking this time gives your mind a break, as well. You should notice even a five minute break will help you feel more energetic and focused.
5. Take a snack break. Some people head to the vending machines in the afternoon because they feel want a quick pick-me-up. Unfortunately, most of the foods you’ll find in a vending machine will only give you short burst of energy before you start feeling even more sluggish. Fresh fruit is a good alternative to vending machine food as is a serving of cottage cheese. You may also want to keep raw almonds available. These snacks, as opposed to a candy bar or cake, will provide the lasting energy you need while being a healthy snack choice.
Even though you may feel the need for a quick pick-me-up in the fall months, you can use these five at any time of the year. If you change up your schedule, choose healthy snacks, get moving, take a power nap or stay hydrated, you will find your have more energy and are ready to face your day again.