Raw honey is a natural occurring substance produced by honeybees. It is a popular food enhancer and natural sweetener. Aside from its sweet taste, raw honey also has numerous health benefits. It can treat, soothe and aid countless of health conditions and boost your overall health. Honey in its natural form is rich is antifungal, antibacterial, antioxidant and antiseptic properties making it one of the super foods that can heal many types of health problems.
Health Benefits of Raw Honey
1. Prevents cancer – Honey is rich in antioxidants called flavonoids which help in reducing the risk of cancer.
2. Treatment for colds – Raw honey is rich in antibiotic properties that can help in treating colds.
3. Reduce gastrointestinal disorders – Studies show that raw honey can help treat gastrointestinal disorders such as ulcers because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties.
4. Treatment for acne – People who have acne and other skin blemishes may find raw honey as an alternative treatment. This is done by applying a small amount of honey on the affected area overnight regularly. Doing this should remove skin blemishes in no time.
5. Energy booster – Raw honey is an effective energy booster as it helps maintain the glycogen levels in the body.
6. Treatment for skin problems – Applying a small amount of honey over wounds, burns, abrasions, rashes and other skin problems can help heal the skin. This is because of the natural hydrogen peroxide in honey produced from an enzyme in bees.
7. Soothes cough – One of the most popular health benefits of honey is in soothing coughs. One can find relief from cough by drinking a mixture of raw honey and lemon juice.
8. Regulates blood sugar – Raw honey has the exact combination of glucose and fructose sugars and it helps in regulating the blood sugar level of body.
9. Natural beautification – The antibacterial and ant-fungal properties of honey are useful in achieving a healthy and glowing skin. When used with other ingredients such as carrots, olive oil and cucumber, honey makes an excellent natural beautification product.
10. Relieves mosquito bites – Raw honey is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce the itchiness and skin irritation caused by mosquito bites or stings if applied topically on the affected area.
11. Protects body from free radicals – Raw honey is rich in antioxidant called polyphenols which helps in protecting the cells from being damaged by free radicals.
12. Aids in constipation – Working as a natural laxative, drinking honey can also aid constipation.
13. Treatment for sore throat – Another popular health benefit of honey is in treating sore throats. It does not only soothe the symptoms but also kills certain types of bacteria causing the infection.
14. Relieves morning sickness – Incorporating honey in your breakfast can give you relief from the effect of morning sickness.
15. Aids in migraines and headaches – If suffering from migraine, you can find relief by drinking a teaspoon of honey dissolved in half a cup of warm water.
With its many health benefits, it is always good to keep a bottle of raw honey in your cupboard.
Raw honey may contain certain bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. This is not dangerous for older children and adults but for infants especially those below one year old, it could lead to serious health problems.